Wednesday, June 21

the Dangers of Conformity

While there is much to be said about networking, learning from one another, and using another's wisdom to guide us, danger lurks just around the corner.

Maybe it's just a symptom of my post-modern roots, but models, particularly ones relating to the church, make me nervous. In fact, I've actually been saddened and felt nauseous watching churches lose essential, beautiful components of their vision and mission while "bettering" themselves by conforming to the latest trends. I would much rather see a church hash out their path, making mistakes and changes that will strengthen their commitment and vision. After all, we must never stop pursuing truth.

A rush of fear came over me this past weekend when the Keystone Creative Team were gathered around a large table in a steak house in Chicago. We attended the Willow Arts Conference at Willow Creek that day and were all pretty excited about all the great info and training at our finger tips. And two of the Pastors were discussing how they felt the teaching Pastor needed to decide if the church was going Saddleback or Willow Creek.

Now I'm not saying those churches have it wrong, but for Keystone to follow a model would mean the death of fragile yet beautiful aspects of the way they choose to meet the needs of their attendees.

So I spoke up.

"I think... *dramatic pause as the table fell absolutely silent* Keystone... needs to be Keystone..."

The table was eerily quiet. I began to question whether or not I should have said anything. After all, I am the newbie... and although the church spent over $400 to take me that weekend, I hadn't really earned my right to speak up and breathe what I considered life into the team.

After a few intense, heavy moments, the Creative Arts Pastor, Kyle, looks at me and says, "Asher, that was a word from God. You need to stick around, girl."

Why do you think churches feel that in order to succeed, they must conform?

-Asher

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think churches lose their identity because they begin to think of people as numbers. "We baptised 15 members this month and licensed 2 members!" Just check out the latest SBC annual report. Filled to the brim with stats.

Anonymous said...

I think churches feel the pressure to conform not only because of a massive desire to gravitate towards convenience versus creativity and originality (it's cheaper and takes less time), but also because choosing convenience every time seems to be the only option churches have in order to remain relevant and popular in relation to present-day culture shifts.

Anonymous said...

You should consider updating.