I've done it. Well, I did it. Friday, December 8, I wrote my letter requesting the removal of membership from the Assemblies of God and consequently, the church I've called home for 4 years, almost exactly (my first time attending was their children's Christmas program, 2001. that program is next week, if I recall correctly).
I've known for several months, if not more, that I would be leaving Living Hope. Honestly, I fought it, tooth & nail, to stay, but Sunday after Sunday, interaction after interaction, I received confirmation that Living Hope is no longer a good fit for me. Don't get me wrong, they are a great group of believers who passionately follow their understanding of truth, and there is so much to be said for that, so if you are a new believer looking to get a good foundation built beneath your feet, please look at Living Hope, they will, without hesitation, provide that for you if you are a willing spirit.
I'm not really sure where I'm headed from here. A good friend and mentor of mine, Darrin, did some research for me as soon as he found out and sent the name and address of a couple churches in my area to look at (thanks, D, you crack me up, yo!). For now, I'll be going to East Bay Calvary with my friends (who are most definitely family, most of them), and doing lots more prayer, as well. This has been a very trying decision, laden with fear, but if there's one thing I've learned recently it's that to not do something because you don't know the outcome and fear the leaving the comfortable familiarity of the present, is to fall drastically short of what you were meant for. So... I move forward, away from the familiar, hoping that the unknown before me will challenge and grow me in ways I am desperate for. (hanging prep!!)
Speaking of friends, I need to do a shout out. I have amazing friends! Really! For 8 days now they've selflessly carted me around TC, getting me to work and to fun things like the Well, and movies, without so much as a complaint. They've also provided food and fun for me, with no cost or strings attached. This afternoon Eric came and got me from work and invited me to his house for dinner and his birthday celebration with his family. What a group of people! I laughed... a lot. They're definitely NOT afraid to have fun. His sister and mother insisted I stay and watch The Holiday Inn (which I'd never seen, but it's where the white Christmas song originated) with them... so I did... and then, instead of taking me home, Eric and I went to the Well where he tried to teach me chess... let's just say we'll have to try again another night... my ADD was going full throttle! oi. I need to either discipline my brain or start taking meds for it. Any ideas?
According to Eric I am one of the most prideful people he knows. He says this because of two things tonight: 1) I wouldnt tell him my birthday bc I dont want it celebrated, and 2) I wouldnt ask for help getting into his truck (which is really high up). Before you all react with a, "no you're not," I have to agree with him. I'm pretty prideful; definitely a constant, tugging battle for me. Eric is definitely one of the most direct people I know. Not afraid to call it what it is. I appreciate that. He also things I look like a rhinoceros doing ballet when trying to get in his huge truck. Gee, thanks, Eric! Love you, too! *wink*
Anyhow, fear is one of the greatest weapon of Satan, I believe. And it's only when we face our deepest fears that we can ever begin to discover freedom. Make a change this week, of any size, despite your fear. Let me know what it is, if you feel comfortable!
Shalom!
-Asher
ps- dinner night (how creative, lol) at my house is on MONDAY again this week. We're not going to start cooking until shortly after 8pm (because of schedules). We'll be making TACOS. You're welcome to come if you're free, but make sure I know ahead of time so we have enough food for everyone. Also, we ask that you contribute something to the meal, if you are able! (if not, we won't turn you away)
Ye Olde Schedule (of things you might want to come to)
**FRIDAY, DEC 22ND, 7PM, CHRISTMAS PAR-TAY AT ASHER'S!
Monday - Dinner Night @ Asher's 8pm ish (you can come whenever, though)
Tuesday- College group @ EB Cal (7pm-9ish? but we usually go do random stuff together afterwards)
Wednesday- ummm.. nothing? Unless you work with the YG at EB Cal
Thursday thru Sat- Jacob's Well
Sunday-9am SS @ EB Cal; Service @ 10:30? I think... 8pm-2am Asher works at the Well, so everyone comes to visit me because they love me... and let's face it... it's a good thing!
First blog post
10 years ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment