Sunday, June 3

Hot Chocolate & God

I have this friend. He is passionately Catholic. He is one of my greatest friends. Last night he was kind enough to alleviate some of the pain I've been experiencing in my right leg for about a month. While this is happening, we began talking, as we often do. About my current job possibility (he pushed me to apply to the point where I applied to appease him. It wasn't until later that I would grow to want and love the job), about the sovereignty of God and the suffering of man (I was a bit bitter about my right leg hurting so much for so long). And inevitably, we start debating as we do. One of the big things I disagree with him about is the whole praying to the saints. (and I am passionately, playfully feisty in debates with my friends)

Right towards the end of this part of the conversation, he says to me, "praying to the saints isn't the cake, it's the icing on the cake; too much of it will make you sick, but just enough is good!" And in a stroke of logical, debating genius, I responded, "Ah ha! That's how I know you're wrong! (curious look from him, to me)... I don't like frosting!!"

He, going right along with... what we'll call my asher-ness, says, "It's like the whipped cream on hot chocolate, and I know you like whipped cream!"

My response: "does that mean God is the hot chocolate?"
He: "yes, yes it does"
Me: "mmmm... hot chocolate!"

That, my friends, was the end of our conversation. :-)

Asher
ps- I don't ever enter these conversations thinking I have it in me logically to alter my friend's views, (he's the director of religious education at a local school) nor do I have a strong desire to, he has one of the most alive orthodoxies that I've ever seen. (which, if Im not mistaken, is called "orthopraxy.")

0 comments: