Over the past few months I've noticed that a very dear friend of mine has taken a liking to drinking and bars. And while I don't see alcohol as something that is inherently evil, I do believe that using alcohol to cope with stress cheapens life, robs community, and fuels a selfishness that is unhealthy. Maybe they don't see how it could matter to those around them because they don't feel loved... or worthy to be loved. I feel rather helpless. I am learning the tough lesson that I cannot force a person to receive my love and care for them. I cannot convince them of their love-edness, nor their worth. Conversation after conversation with them only leads to frustration as they are unwaivering in their resolve to be "independent" and strong away from those who love them the most. I wish, most desperately, that they could see how destructive that perspective is to their spirit, mind, and body. I wish they could see how it's changed them in a negative way, how all the ground they've gained is slowly slipping away.
Part of me wonders, though, if this type of downward spiral and a hard hit at the bottom is what it will taken to soften their soul to receive the comfort of love.
Dear friend, I loved you before this. I love you now. I will love you then, whatever happens. You are my cherished brother and I am here whenever, no matter how long this path takes you to complete.
First blog post
10 years ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment