Has it ever just hit you that you are living a good life? You realize things are far from perfect and that the best days are far from being free of trials and shadows, but manage to shine, glisten, and inspire despite the trials and shadows? And have you ever realized that the greatest of crisis could strike and you know everything would be okay because of the friends God has given you? Have you ever felt like you are completely accepted and valued and loved, despite all your flaws? Have you ever felt this way not because of anything that's been said, but because of actions and gestures and what hasn't been said?
Have you ever been able to simply breathe and know, in that moment, when all your striving has ceased and your masks have been shattered, that you are secure in the presence of the Holy One; the One who authored your very life and who sustains you again, and again, and again?
Has it ever gotten to a point where you haven't had to convince yourself and your creator that you're good enough? Where you've been able to sit before Him and sift through life, owning what mistakes needed owning and letting go of things you had no fault in? Where you could authentically say, not only, "these are my weaknesses," but also, "these are my strengths."
Where you've been able to look at your life's critics and cheerleaders both and say, "here, here, and here is where they were spot on" and "here, here, and here is where they misunderstood me and my life."
I am utterly amazed at this, but I have had an increasing number of these moments. And honestly? Truly? I think it's because of the amazingly beautiful, graceful, wonderfully growing people in my life. I have been slowly recognizing these things as truth for me. This isn't something that is true all of the time, but is potently true for this moment, and the moment before that, and maybe the moment after this... but here's the thing- the moments are becoming more and more and more. The authenticity of my failures and weaknesses, but also of my beauty and strengths and gifts. The understanding that I was born with a fallen nature but also that I have been redeemed and am continually in the presence of Grace and endowed with the same power that created all things, that is needed to do wonderful beautifully redemptive, things.
We, as Christians, can hear a lot about the dangers of pride and thinking too much of ourselves. But I believe that the other extreme is just, if not more, dangerous that that. When we are scared to confess our goodness, our beauty, our positives, than we, among other things, are miserably failing to acknowledge and respect the imago dei that we each bear. The journey towards my acceptance of all the wonderfully beautiful, strong things than make me Asher, has been a long, tired journey, full of all sorts of naysayers and hardships that have, until lately, made me feel guilty for identifying positives about myself, or asking others to please treat me respectfully.
It's a journey that will never end, I'm sure. But I must say that I am quite excited to be able to say: My name's Asher Thayer. I am a strong, beautiful, compassionate woman who loves deeply and honestly. I'm not afraid to take on a challenge and I am a gifted writer and mentor, among other things. And I am proud of who I am and the things I've overcome and accomplished, and I will not shrink in shame because my story and strength makes a critic quiver.
First blog post
10 years ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment