Saturday, December 6

Little Sister + 130 + Appendix

A little update: I'm still sick. Okay, moving on.

One of the joys of being a big sister is knowing that your younger sibs will call and talk to you when they won't talk to anyone else. It's good to know they have an outlet. Sometimes that joy is not so enjoyable and leaves me scratching my head in bewilderment. So my little sister (who will be 18 in four months...) called me at 1:30 this morning, a little frantic(and waking me out of my almost asleep state). She was convinced her appendix was going to burst. Apparently, a guy she knows just had surgery to remove his appendix and suggested to my sis that the pain she's experiencing in that area might be her appendix acting as a ticking time bomb. Whoever you are, young man, I am not a fan. Anyway, she also proceeds to tell me that she had just taken SIX pain killers. I asked her if she'd eaten anything that day and the answer did not surprise me: no. Well, that accounts for the nausea, young one. Go eat something, anything.

"I don't want to."
"At this point hon, it doesn't really matter what you want, you NEED to. Drink some water, too, and then go to bed."
"I don't want to," she persisted. (Was I ever this stubborn and irrational? Yes. Crap!)

In the end I think I won her over. Woot for random 130 in the morning emergency phone calls. I did also ask her to call our parental units. She liked that idea even less than the eating and going to bed theory. Ha!

She's counting down the days till I come home for Christmas. How many days? 17.

I love being a big sister. But sometimes, man, it's hard. Being a teenager sucks sometimes and I can't (and shouldn't) rescue her from the process. It's so much easier to field adolescence with a student you're not related to. That's my current conclusion, anyhow.

If you don't mind, please pray for my sister. I'm confident that she's going to be fine physically, but prayers never hurt a situation. Thanks dudes.

[update: I gave her a call this afternoon and asked her if she still had all her organs. She giggled. Yep, all there and intact. Excellent news. *wink* Thanks for praying!]

0 comments: