
"We're adults. When did this happen & how do we make it stop?"
I enjoy this picture. It was taken at the beginning of the summer when Nistha, Brad, & I road-tripped it to Traverse City. So much fun. That weekend proved to be the best weekend of the summer.
I noticed something about myself yesterday. I'm always focused on the destination. Sure, I talk about embracing the journey, but I'm still all about getting where I've got to be; where I feel I
should be. I guess it's because I've always been aware of my underdog status in the eyes of so many and then having numerous people always telling me how I can/should improve.
There is incredible value of knowing how you need to grow and, in general, a person should consistently strive to move forward. However, when you quit focusing so intently on the destination and enjoy the scenery, it is much easier to appreciate life and allow the journey to take its course.
In the physical realm, when I am chilled, enjoying the open road or the people along with me, the destination still approaches, but I am less antsy and generally enjoy the process 80 times more.
Even the Bible speaks of a ceasing of action. Psalm 46:10 tells us to "be still and know that I am God." Generally, we are taught that this means to be quiet and still before God, but at its root, it means to cease striving, to abandon, relax, let be, and remember who God is and what He is capable of.
This gives us freedom to be who we are where we are.
And it's even more powerful in its context, where it should be: a comforting psalm of God's faithfulness in the midst of war and trials.
So, hey, anyone up for a road trip? I promise I wont ask "are we there yet?"
-Asher
1 comments:
I love the quote at the top. Somewhere in growing up I missed something about my relationship with God.
Post a Comment