Or, brokenness... but there are a few frustrations, as well... and before I get into the benefits, I'd like to stroke the frustrations.
Frustration #1: Stupid people
"Stupid" may sound a bit harsh, but it's what I mean, so rather than changing the word to be holy-sounding, I'll just be honest. They feel the need to use their safe cliches to make themselves feel at ease or more important than the wounded.
I was on the phone with a friend who only calls when they want to talk to me. Unfortunately, I have a very shallow supply to give right now, as I'm working on getting myself back to whatever normal looks like for me. When I expressed my sorrow over how NH worked out for me, and that I'd sought counseling to work through it, this person LAUGHED at me. They stated that it wasn't a big enough deal, especially compared to what they had been through; I had merely had my bubble burst and could get over it.
I definitely hung up on this person and proceeded to turn my phone off so I wouldn't be tempted to answer the guaranteed call back. Not the nicest thing to do, but I found myself so angry, I think it was the lesser of the two evils. Anyhow, a while later I turn my phone on and hear, "your phone must have died," from a voicemail....
Ever had something you meant vindictively totally fizzle out on you?? It makes the anger worse. grr...
Benefit #1: Humility
A person who is broken understands that they have their place in the Lord, but without Him, they are nothing,
Benefit #2: Teachability
They are teachable because the understand that they don't have all the answers and have much to learn from those around them.
Benefit #3: Authenticity
They begin to understand that there is no standard that they could ever live up to that could make life all better, and know that it is better to be true than to superficially maintain certain standards and appearances.
-Asher
First blog post
10 years ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment