Tuesday, October 31

Knowledge is Power

One of the most amazing things I've learned recently is intricately connected with the idea of guarding your heart. It's about not letting others name you.

This means not allowing the ideas and comments of others determine how you feel and view yourself; accepting false truth about yourself.

It's awesome. I feel empowered, free... like I don't have to accept the opinions others have of me as definitive truth, no matter what. Obviously, there's a balance to this; it's important to be teachable and humble.

Careful, though, it causes problems to break out of the norm and what others expect from you... I guess ya gotta be comfortable with conflict in order to pursue health... which is also a test on how firmly you understand that others don't determine your value and worth.

-Asher

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The reality of this is very powerful and freeing indeed. I always remember the line in "Be Thou My Vision" that speaks "Riches I heed not, nor man's empty praise,".

At the same time, encouragement is important. We should accept and recieve it. But ultimately our identity rests in Christ.

Asher said...

I really wasn't talking about praise and encouragment, actually. I was talking about people speaking things about me that are nonbiblical (she's too needy, she's too emotional, she'll never overcome, etc)