Wednesday, October 18

What a day...

(warning, this post contains mild-to-moderate negativity... & complaining)

What a day, seriously...

Partly because I only got about 3.5-4hrs of sleep last night, and partly because customers have a bad habit of treating you like dirt because you are OBVIOUSLY less enlightened than they... I had a rough day today... silly me, I wasn't aware that toe cuticles could be sore...

Anyway, it's about 2pm and I get this costumer with an item that was originally 9.99. It rings up as 8.99 and she protests... which is fine, so I offer to do a price check for her, and radio for someone in the baby department to give me the sale price for the item. The customer was right, I override the price, thinking she'll be satisfied. Working in an outlet, prices don't always get changed in the computer, so we do a lot of adjusting by hand... satisfied? she was far from it. She continues on, making a scene, wondering if "what about the others?" Am I just going to overcharge them, too?... So I call for a manager, who calls, thinking the customer is upset because I haven't given her the right price... man... ugh... so anyway, the costumer leaves...

And the next customer offers me some hope of being easy-going and low-maintenance when she says, "man, some people can be so picky" I smile, and start ringing her order up. Okay... she was more needy and mean than the previous one... when I cashed her out I even got on my walkie and declared, "I need my break, NOW" To which my managers obliged. I've never, ever demanded a break. And I've never left the store for one, either. It saves gas and money on food... but this time I left the store and went to beaners and bought some lunch, leaned back in the comfy seating and j u s t b r e a t h e d. It was amazing. Just what I needed...

But the drama doesn't stop there. Oh no. About 10 to 7 one of my managers asks me to stay on for an extra hour (I'm okay with this, I'm rather pressed for finances), so I do... and then this lady comes through with what we will find to be nearly $400 in clothing... good for business... but it literally takes me 2o minutes to cash her out. All the while she's bad-mouthing her husband in front of her little son (husband in the car) and telling me all this stuff about how she was kicked out of the mall, how poor they are, and lots of other stuff that I have no idea what to do with... and when it comes time for her to pay she gives me a check, which I need a drivers licence for... which she does not have... and then she calls husband, gets in an argument with him over the phone, in the store, and tries to drag me in to it... oi... I was way glad when she left.

Thankfully, the rest of my costumers for the night were amazing.. Yay!

One costumer and I were discussing how fast October was going, and somehow the fact that I was a new college grad came up and the question came, "what is your degree in?" SO, I told her and it turns out she's a youth director at a local church, so we swapped game ideas and she invited me to come hang out with her students... I'm such a nerd. I felt my heart jump and face light up when I got to talk about youth ministry. It's a sickness. I'm not sure if I'll be visiting her youth group.. I'm still waiting to see if I'll be serving at Living Hope or not... but it made my day just talking about my students and exchanging ideas... yeah, I'm a dork, I know.

Anyhow, that's the big stuff from my day and a rather negative post..

night all, I must sleep!

-Asher

1 comments:

Rachel said...

I love you Asher! You always make me smile... see? --> :-) Haha...