Saturday, November 4

Moon-Rainbows and 1/2 degree burns

My posts must not be very intriguing lately... oi, what's an Asher to do?? Perhaps write about some of her antics? Perhaps.

Andy & I got done at the Well around 230am, and, as is custom (because I am completely fascinated with the sky.. stars.. and the unimaginable expanse it all consumes) I looked to the sky, not really expecting much because of recent snow, but still mildly hopeful because that's just how I am... well, lo and behold, the moon was out- a full moon, shining ever so brightly... with just a slight bit of cloud covering it... and this bit of cloud was lit up with the colors of the rainbow. It was absolutely gorgeous! I've never seen that before, but I'm assuming the reflected light from the sun (which illuminates the moon) was hitting the moisture crystals in the clouds which in effect, gave me this beautiful gift to witness this evening!

Remember previously when I wrote about my general knack for steaming milk? While, dear friends, you can just pitch that out the window, if you would. It must have been beginners' luck:

So, I'm steaming a chai for a Weller (one who comes to the Well often) tonight. Not too difficult, same basic idea. Steam in such a way that it causes the milk to swirl and you're making "sipping" sounds with the steaming wand... and get it to 140 degrees (legally, the 140 is a must)

So, ya know, I'm going about my business, not doing too bad, I try to turn the steamer off at 130 (so the thermometer catches up and I don't burn the milk... you steam it too hot and the molecules bust and it's nasty... though only to the untrained tongue, apparently) and the steamer keeps going... and going... and eventually explodes and over-flows, covering the espresso machine and counter.... and my right hand, which is currently suffering from a half degree burn. It's quite mild, but enough to annoy me.

All the time this is unfolding I'm trying desperately to get the name "Casey" to emerge from my lips... but I was in so much horror of the potential of the situation, I think my vocals just... froze... or something like it. Mess. Pure mess. Lucky for me, Casey's extremely laid back, graceful, and a great teacher... he then informed me that having the steamer up is also on... hmm... good to know! Oh... and the temp of that chai? Yeah... it was definitely around 180... whoops... totally burnt! :-p (no worries, I re-did it "perfectly" for the very patient Weller)

I also got the privilege of making the first espresso of the night. Ideally, it should take 18-23 seconds for a shot to run through. Mine, had I not stopped the timer in embarrassment, was around 36 seconds. Eek! Apparently, (I do enjoy that word!) this is normal, as Casey's also came out to that. Make the grind smaller and it makes the number go down... I think..

Oi Vej! I enjoy the Well. You just never know what the night beholds!

somethin' fun (that makes you re-think mentos & diet coke...)




-Asher

0 comments: