Monday, January 29

The Homeless, The Police, The Well

One homeless man sure can cause a lot of trouble...

Since Dec 31, 2006, Jacob's Well has had it's resident homeless man. On first impression he seemed needy and slightly manipulative, which are understandable and of no serious threat. The first altercation I had with him was on our first night meeting him where he threatened to beat me up if I didn't let him take a spoon... I let him have it...

It's gotten increasingly worse ever since...

Apparently, last night he was making rude and crude commenets towards female Wellers, and ended up getting himself booted because he didn't pay for the cover charge for the concert there was last night... and then tonight... oi... tonight was even better...

He comes in with two keyboards, two bars, a box of tools, 3 coats, headphones... etc etc... where might a homeless man find such goodies? "the ditch," of course. Ah yes! Of course! The ditch! ahem...

He tried to give us rotting meat, cheese, and other such products. He also pretty much had all his stuff strewn (I've never had to spell that word before, is that correct?) throughout the Well, taking over the place. I'm instantly uncomfortable with the situation. He's obviously toasted and smells of alcohol; great combination, I'm sure. And, because Michael is gone for the Marines, it's just Anna and I working (no guy)... so we call Anna's brother, who calls Gambo (Jeff), a staple weller who is big and scary looking enough to scare satan himself, lol... Gambo is also extremely protective of all the female workers at the well. I'm kinda glad for it, too. When it came time for him to leave, our homeless man pitches a fit towards me, and Gambo, looking on from a distance, signals to me that he's calling the police, I give the nod, and a few minutes later my knights in blue uniforms come to see our homeless man out of the Well. woohooo! They hung around the parking lot and eventually took our homeless man to jail, we think.

I got to thinking about the situation because my partner was rather unsupportive of my concern and disagreed with my advice to not allow him in the Well. You guys aren't getting the whole picture here, but it's definitely not safe for our patrons for him to be lurking around; the cops told us he had been called on 5 times that day and was unstable and capable of hurting others that disagree with him... wonderful. But my partner cited compassion as her motive, and I guess I understand that... what only to a point. This guy's a grown man, capabale of taking responsiability for himself, and TC has a few homeless shelters, and he knows what they are; he needed to go there for the evening. And it's not compassionate to indulge destructive behavior, or put our patrons at risk. Jacob's Well is meant to be a safe place for all, but if someone comes in who is unsafe, they forfeit their right, as far as I'm concerned... anyhow...

that was my night at the well...

Thank you to all my guy friends who so wonderfully cared for me and the rest of the women at the Well tonight. Your concern was evident and is appreciated!!!

0 comments: