I have a huge love for learning. I loved college. I didn't really like getting graded or the pressure to perform, but I loved the learning part. I'm a nerd, I suppose. I was one of those college kids who very rarely sold any of her books (and I regret having done so with the ones I did). And I'm one of those people who has "books" in her budget. It's a sickness.
Aza and I were hanging out tonight and I mentioned another book Don brought up. I do need to wait, and I told him that, but knowing my weakness for books (and the fact that we were sitting in a bookstore), he laughed at me and said, "yeah, right."
I'm stubborn. I didn't buy the book, mostly to prove him wrong. But although I love books I understand the value of the dollar and I there are times where I literally have to fight for my money. Also, I understand that once you spend money, it's spent. Gone.
And, I'm responsible for all my bills. And given my dream to open up my own foundation some day, my credit is really important to me. So, the only debt I have is school related. And that always gets paid first, above everything else.
In one paycheck I will be to the point where I have my emergency fund again, which I havent had since 2003. That will be set aside and I'll be a little tight on cash for a pay-period, but it's so worth it. I'm a far cry from financially stable, but I'm moving forward, however slowily it may be. Hopefully, I'll then be able to save up for the fall, when things are still up in the air.
Okay, so this really wasn't about books.
Here's my secret to saving:
Let's say you make $8/hr.
Ask yourself, "Do I want to work for 2.5hrs to pay for this CD?"(8x2.5=20)
Or, "Is this extra value meal really worth an hour of my hard work?"
If you value your time and dedication as much as I do then frivolous spending has a better chance of decreasing when you realize the work you're putting forth for your purchase. But don't go to the extreme like I did, I started to feel guilty for buying myself things I really needed like clothes (I'm not your typical girl in that regard) and food. That's bad. A friend of mine had to remind me that humans needs clothes and food. Good call.
Also, that said, treating yourself occassionally isn't bad, either. I bought myself a coffee and a really sweet, super-indestructable water bottle thingy(mine's purple), yesterday (see the "all smiles" post). Just make sure you're not treating yourself excessively.
Asher
First blog post
10 years ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment