Friday, June 29

Rights & Responsibilities

Aza's latest "focus" in his life has been "rights & responsabilities." Really, it's about boundaries, but using the words rights & responsibilties can help give a person a better understanding of what healthy boundaries look like. (I'm not sure if that's actually what Aza means when he says rights and responsibilties, but I'm guessing my interpretation isn't too far off.)

I have a situation I learned about a couple days ago that has me very unsettled and left me wondering what I should do in response; where the boundaries lay. Here's a short synopsis of the situation and my thoughts regarding it:

A youth pastor of a youth group I am formarly affiliated with called the parents of the youth in their ministry and told them not to allow their teens over to another student's house because they're dating a much older individual (I think the age difference is 7 years). Now, as iffy as the dating may seem to you, the parents of this teen are very involved with their child and have done a phenominal job raising them and setting boundaries for them.

The problems I have with this part of the story: (a few of them, anyway)
1) The youth pastor is usurping parental authority, which is #1...
2) The YP has no biblical basis for calling the student's actions wrong/sinful
3) If the YP disagreed with the situation, they should have addressed the student and parents, not the social group
4) The student's right to feel safe/accepted/loved/valuable has been deeply violated
5) The YP has over-stepped his rights and responsibilities, which is spiritual abuse.

When I found out about this situation I asked if the Senior Pastor had been approached. I was told that yes, they had been, and the SP said the youth group was seperate from the rest of the church and diverted responsibility.

The problems I have with this part of the story: (again, a few of them)
1) *too angry for words*
2) the church funds and houses the ministry and should be willing to step in and take action when wrong is done
3) the SP is failing to take responsibility for the junk that happens in the ministries under their care
4) The lack of action to protect the rights and health of this student
5) By lack of action the SP is, sadly, being spiritual abusive

So, I've been left to wonder the past few days where my responsibilities are. I'm no longer at that church, but I know of these horrible things happening to a young and amazing student. And, if I should act, what should that action look like/consist of?

If you have any thoughts, please share them.

Asher

0 comments: