Yesterday, while working at Old Navy, a mild frustration hit me as I struggled to complete a task. I have good days and bad days with my legs and coordination, and yesterday was definitely a "bad day." I stumbled around and dropped clothes several times. And I felt alone. I felt as though no one there really understood... or wanted to understand... the difficultly level that sometimes even the most basic of things have for me. I felt as though if I had spoken up and asked for help or explained to a manager that the task required too much out of me for the day, then I would have been told, in no uncertain terms, that I shouldn't be working there.
And I didn't want that.
I made it through my shift and shortly there after I headed to the Well. While in route I tried to call a friend who tried to call me at the same time. As we talked I explained to them that they had been a great encouragement lately and I was thankful for their presence in my life. Apparently my friend had some things to say, as well. And secretly, I have to admit, I had been wishing for this conversation (between me and anyone I love) for the longest of times.
My friend told me that they loved and were thankful that we were friends. That they couldn't imagine what it would be like to struggle like I do. That they were amazed at the way I cope and deal with how hard my life is. That they could never be happy like I am if they woke up and suddenly walked like I do. They are proud of me, they said, but not in a little-sister-pat-you-on-the-head-kind-of-way, but, "I admire and look up to you." They said I was a good looking, hard working, incredibly intelligent woman that they respect. They said if anyone would take two seconds they'd realize that I work very hard to succeed and survive and that my happiness and well-being is very important to them. I guess it doesn't sound like much, but this convo was amazing for me. It was simply what I needed.
First blog post
10 years ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment