Tuesday, November 27

Healing

Maybe this is something we could discuss together.

Yesterday I was approached by a man while I was working on my essays at the coffee shop I work for. Here is the jest of our more lengthy conversation.

Some guy comes up to me and (no joke) asks me if I'm a believer. Then he asks me if he can show me something. When I agree, he shows me his computer screen which, at first, had the word "MANIFESTATIONS" across the screen and then dozens and dozens of KJV bible verses on healing an instances when Jesus healed.

As he was reading, I was nodding. He asked me why and I explained that I have a degree in Bible and go to a fairly pentecostal church.

"Oh." says he.
*smile* says me
he: so you know God heals?
me: yeah, He sure can
he: you know Jesus' whole ministry was healing (infirmities)?
me: i wouldn't say that was his whole ministry, but he definitely healed
he: well, umm... don't you WANT to be healed?
me: the way I look at is God can heal me if he wants, and sure there are days where I'd love it, but I am okay with not being healed, too.
he: so you don't want to be healed?
me: I didn't say that...
he: God will heal you if you have faith. I've seen it
me: I've seen it, too, but just because I'm not "healed" doesn't mean doesn't mean I don't have faith or love God any less.
he: oh... right...
me: look, I need to explain something to you: by in large, I don't see my disability as something that needs to be healed. You look at me and see my limp and think, "her life could be so much better." The reality, is, though, that the my limp being gone isn't the answer. I have a community that loves, helps and supports me. God has provided for my unique needs. And I believe that my limp only strengthens my ministry. And if I were God and I was going to heal someone of something like my limp, I'd wait a bit longer, until the opportune moment. My life isn't less good because I limp, and I don't need the grace and healing of God anymore than any other human. Please be cautious when you assume that because someone has learned to embrace their weakness and see it as a good thing that they don't have the faith necessary to be healed.

What are your thoughts on miraculous healing?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should tell him to talk to Job (in the Bible). Job's friends were saying the same thing.