Thursday, February 28

Enthusiasm

Working with the youth group has awakened a part of me I had almost forgotten existed.

It's pretty amazing. I feel like a child, in awe of everything around me. The students, the leaders, the love that God has for each one of them and each one of us.

I'm not sure if I shared this with you, but a couple weeks ago Jay asked the kids to pair off and share with one another the most loving thing a person had done for them. Earlier in the night I had been talking with a Jr. Higher, who was now seated near me. She came up to me and declared, "I'm with you!" With such an asserting, who was I to argue? So we shared.

Jay then asked if a few of the kids would come up and share. My new friend had such a story, I encouraged her to go up. She assured me that I was silly, saying she didn't really like that kind of thing. I assured her that I was indeed silly, but she should really go up there, that everyone would LOVE her story about love. She said no, she wasn't comfortable in front of people. I explained that I get real nervous, too, but it gets easier when you do it more and more. So she compromised with me, saying if Jay asked for another student (two had already gone), then she'd go up. Much to her sadness, he asked for another. "I'm doing this for you, Asher" she mumbled begrudgingly. (I'm okay with that, she can borrow my belief in her until she gets her own) I became a cheerleader. Making such a noise she couldn't deny that she was believed in. She did a GREAT job. She came back to her seat and I gave her a hug, telling her how awesome she did.

Last night Jay asked if any of the kids had anything cool that happened with them throughout the week that they'd like to share. And who VOLUNTEERED? My "too scared" friend! *grin*

I again became the noisey cheerleader every kid both hates and loves at the same time. I'm so proud of her, you have no idea. And I made sure she knew it. I told her mom (in front of her), her friends... I pretty much embarrassed the snot out of her. But you should've seen her glowing.

I'm realizing that I am waaaaay more enthusiastic than most people. I feel a little awkward about it. I'm hoping, though, that it's a good thing. :-)

0 comments: