Saturday, April 19

Asher vs. Boogie: round 1

I'm not sure I've mentioned much about my latest skill/hobby, but guess what!? I've been learning to ride a horse. Learn? Yeah, there's more to riding a horse than just sitting on it!

The first ride I went on with this group of people was... interesting. Icy. Freezing! Blowing. And a few horses that don't get along with one another. I did manage to stay on the horse, though. Mares are bullheaded.

So the next time, instead of riding Star, I rode Boogie (boo-gee). Boogie is an old man. Like 26 years old, I think? But he's in outstanding shape and has enough spunk to keep you on your toes. We've been getting to know one another and this past Tuesday (we try to ride every Tuesday), something happened we've been waiting for... a battle for control. You see, now that I've got some confidence Boogie's trying to find out who's in control, him or me, and how much he can get away with.

We were riding through the woods, going over a large log and he stops. Two legs on each side. "come on, boog," I chirp.
Nada.
"boogie, walk" I say, more authoritative-like.
nope.

See, since I can't kick him in the side, he takes me for a push-over. but he's being retrained to respond to my verbal commands so, like it or not, he will be move forward.

Eventually (after what felt like forever) he gets the hint that I'm serious and we move onward over the log, but just a few yards later he turns around with some gusto and jogs the other way. "whoa!"

A good yank on the reigns and he stops, and I turn him around. but he turns back around, this time with more force. Again, I turn him around, but determined he continues on in his plans. at one point he took off and I nearly met the ground as he plowed us into a tree.

My friend, a horse freak, gets off her pony and declares, "Asher, you have to do this. He's got to know you're in control" So, following her directions, I engaged in the battle for control... and won. Boogie was a little grumpy after that, and tried small stuff here and there, but I think he got the message because any command I gave, he obeyed.

that's right, folks...

just call me the horse whisperer. ;-)

nah... but seriously. what went down tuesday was hugely important for both boogie and I. And the battle probably isn't over. But at least he knows I am serious.

All that said, you've got to give the horse some props. I mount him by standing on a snowmobile. He's got to be thinking, "this is soooo humiliating!" Yeah. Sorry, Boog. You're just gonna have to deal.

0 comments: