Monday, March 19

Challanged.

There is no rhyme or reason to much of life. My best friend's dad was diagnosed with lung cancer two days ago. I cried when I got this news. Bawled. I was angry, bitter, grieved. At first I thought I was going insane, but then a friend reminded me that we are to weep with those who weep, and those tears should be genuine.

I know my best friend so well I know what she's thinking and feeling right now. I can also relate; late fall of my second year at Cornerstone, my mother was diagnosed with cancer; it's a frightening and earth-moving experience, let me tell you.

He quit smoking 35 years ago, folks... now if I could only convince Jordan, Ashley, Anna, Ben, & Sarah, all good friends, to quit smoking... (but they already "know" what they're doing, it's their decision to make)

If the doctors would have checked his lung scans they did last summer, they would have caught it then... so there's definite malpractice involved. Someone dropped a very important ball...
________

Tonight while working at Jacob's Well I found myself unusually dependant on God. It's sad that it's unusual, yes. Lately I've been on a short fuse because of so much of the crap that I see going unaddressed, and I was pleading with God tonight for Him to give me His heart for those around me. Those who, like me, are still in process. Note to self: depending on God is better than depending on self. I'm not saying that it was easy ('cause trust me, there are some very unagreeable people around at times), but as I consciously sought to extend kindness and compassion to everyone, even those who tend to find my buttons fun to push, I experienced a joy and passion in and for service that I haven't had recently.
________

I like the random hang-out times that my friends and I have. Jordan and Andy ended up coming over this afternoon for coffee, and Andy says, "Not to be rude, Asher, but I'm starving..."

I laughed. I am always feeding massive amounts of people. We made spaghetti. It's something I make sure to always have on hand for occasions such as this one. I have continuously told Andy he doesn't have to ask to eat, but being the gentlemen he is, he does every time. It was a great meal.
________

I'm headed to bed now. Justus is going to be here in 6.5hrs. I have the coffee set to brew itself at 8:50am. A whole pot. For me... and probably Ashley. I'm sleeping in my bed tonight! yay.
________

May God be your source of kindness and compassion, for you cannot love if you have no compassion. May your heart be transformed and your mind renewed. Sweet sleep!

-Asher

0 comments: