Tuesday, August 14

Perspective

I just worked at Espresso Bay today. I think I'm going to like it, though I say that with a fair amount of caution. You never know. I'm told I've picked up things rather quickly. It's good to hear. 6hours of training done and apparently I'm doing as well as people do after about a month. At least in the areas that I've learned so far. Today I learned how to use the juicer and serve Gelato and furthered my learning of the cash register.

Anyway, what I really want to tell you about is the fact that I work with some 17 and 18 year olds. They're fun. Of course, I enjoy spending time with "teens" in general. (I realize they're at the end of that rope, yes) And they're getting ready to go to college for the first time. It's exciting to hear their optimism and excitement. I was also struck with the difference in the view of money. This is probably due to still living at home. I was asked why I'm working a second job and I explained that I need to be able to afford a place to live. For those that don't know, the cheapest apartments in the area are around $600, before utilities. (so, roughly $800, total, just for a place to exist). That coupled with other bills like student loans, gasoline, etc, and life gets pretty expensive. One of my new coworkers, about 18, found it hard to fathom that paying all those bills requires more than one job. Oh how experience changes perspective. I found it odd. I may have even given her a weird look. =) I wish I still had some of that youthful ignorance!

1 comments:

Rachel said...

So I had a revelation of sorts today. I need to 'keep up' on your blog more often, haha. Congrats on the second job!

One piece of encouragement: be careful not to answer the phone at one job with the greeting from the other job. I've almost done that on several occasions. It was frickin funny. :D