Don't you just LOVE the English language? ...
After experiencing my WORST birthday to date I frolicked my way down to GR for some Sabbath and community. I read once in a book by Nouwen that to one often has to look outside of the community they exist in to find the things they need (Asher's paraphrase). I find this true. But only because I don't live in GR. ;-) (the book is The Inner Voice of Love. It really helped me when I moved back from New Hampshire)
For those that don't know, God used Grand Rapids to save my life. And although I can't say in any certain terms that the salvation was physical, it was, without a doubt, the best thing that has ever happened to me. During my time in GR I discovered hidden darkness, ignored wounds, and a plethora of other such unpleasant things. The reason these discoveries were good is that I had amazing friends and mentors who loved me to healing & truth. I had a confidence I had once only dreamed of. In retrospect, it would have been better to move back to GR after NH. And apparently Aza's been saying that ever since I moved back. (I don't recall that. But I'll trust him here)
This most recent trip was for two reasons. 1) Sabbath. 2) Celebrating my birthday. And I am glad to say, that after a month with no real break, I rested. And after the worst birthday in the history of Asher, I had amazing birthday celebrations with good friends who really are family.
Friday I hung out with Larry and we had amazing Chinese, played a game, talked. Then there was game day. I only had enough "E" left in me for two games. The first I won! After that I found a corner and read. Later Heather, Kelli, and I went out to dinner at TGI Fridays. Collectively, we had nine to-go boxes. Go us!
Saturday was my day to hang out with two of my favorite teens, ever. Katie & Alyssa. Well, Katie and I were suppose to do breakfast, but she ended up being grounded. ooops. I did get to see her for a few minutes, at least. Then Jim, Momo, & I had lunch. Good times. Then it was time for me to frolic off to Grandville to find Alyssa's home. I had rough directions, but they were of little help. After a good hunt, I recognized some street names from nearly two years ago when I interned! I found the house. Woot!(side note: she was grounded, too! we almost didn't see each other! whoops. her mom reconsidered at the last minute, though.) Alyssa & I spent our time at Starbucks talking and laughing. I miss her already. During that conversation I remembered exactly why I majored in Youth Ministry. And there's nothing... NOTHING in the world I'd rather do!
Saturday night Megan & I hung out. There's another woman I missed like crazy. She means so much to me. We grabbed a pizza from Papa Murphy's and went back to her place and chatted. She is one of the few people I can be completely me and at peace around. Her boyfriend came by and I got to know him. He's a great guy, and I'm so happy for her. The three of us tried stumping each other with riddles and tricks and then we watched Stranger than Fiction. I loved it! Then Megan & I drove around and talked before she dropped me off.
Sunday was an "oops" day. I got LOST on the way to Mars Hill. No, I'm not going to explain. I didn't end up going, though. It was sad. I spent the afternoon with Heather's family. I won at monopoly! WOOOHOOOOOO! I never win. And we play every time I come over. About time. After dinner we all went to town and got dessert in honor of my birthday! YAY. The only cake/ice cream I had in honor of it, this year. So I've decided that this year my birthday wasn't really on the 25th.. but the 28th, 29th, and 30th. I stayed an extra night and got up this morning, drove north, and went to work. And now it's back to the work-sleep cycle that is my life.
I am hoping I can move to GR in the Spring. Although, I'm not really sure. I haven't prayed about it at all. All I know is that I fit a lot better there than I do here!
Asher
ps- I found out Thursday night that my best friend is having a BOY. Ahhhh! yay.



1 comments:
i'm glad that your trip went well! sorry your actual birthday was so crappy though. :( i had debated driving up there to surprise you, but i had a class on tuesday night until 6:30pm that prevented me from doing it. :(
i like the new layout! :)
Post a Comment