Tuesday, March 18

An inventory of sorts


Youth Stuff
Event planning is interesting. But, I'm happy to say that everything is all figured out for the student ministries' trip to Chicago in April. Woohoo!

Now all I need to is finish up the games and my mini teachings for youth on the 26th, talk to Jake about a video? build a small group system to implant into the youth ministry, and develop some quick, easy to use, leadership training stuff for the other leaders. Oh! And make a trip to home depot for PVC pipe. And the dollar store for prizes and a couple marbles.


Professional Stuff
Either today or tomorrow morning I need to go over to TBA ISD and apply for a job. I also need to, between now and then, get a copy of my resume and a cover letter printed. Not sure how to go about that. Perhaps the library? I am also looking into taking the three classes required to become grant-writer certified. A little bit of an added marketability to my fine education in youth ministry.

Adulthood
All my bills are paid, but you should see our apartment. It's horrid. Not that it's my fault, but I will be the one to clean it, since no one else cares. I also need to do laundry. And look for a new place to live. One with adults who are responsible and like things at least kind of clean. That sounds so amazing! My oil needs to be changed, too.

Social Life
Friday a friend of mine is coming up from Chicago. Friday is also good Friday and we are having a love feast in honor of it. I have to precook about 4lbs of chicken and pick up a couple more ingredients before that day arrives. Last night I shredded 2lbs of Monterrey jack (did any one catch that it said "monetary jack?") After today I will have almost no time to do anything. I am focusing on developing the two-way relationships I have without shunning the one-sided ones.

Me-ness (Spiritual)
I need to focus more on breathing and being and less on trying to figure out situations and people that I cannot control, especially the hurtful things Nicholas says and does. I am finishing up reading Cold Tangerines and last night I started Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Morals. I bought it a while ago, but made myself promise not to start it until I finished up other books I had purchased. Yesterday, using online gift money, I bout another Anne Lamott book and Rob Bell's Everything is Spiritual DVD. I've also been developing somewhat regular writing habits and have quit watching TV (though I still watch a move or two a week). My Bible and I are becoming good friends and I find myself longing to read it at times.

I am learning, at a painfully slow pace, that I am not a failure. I am learning that I am really the only one that sees what happened as my fault and that there is grace and faith for me and my future if I'd only be willing to embrace its truth, its healing love. I am learning that God is proud of me and despite my greatest faults, still thought I was worth the price of His Son.

Well, it's more of a re-realization. :-)

4 comments:

jimkastkeat said...

What Anne Lamott book did you get?

Also, be warned, if the start of ZMM takes a bit, just go with it. Once you turn the corner, the book takes off. I read the last hundred pages sitting in a closet, just because I didn't want to stop reading it!

Asher said...

I ordered Plan B: Further Thoughts on Faith. I'm pretty stoked.

Yeah, I was reading last night and was like, alright, this is a bit slow. But I'm remembering all of your good feedback.

You in a closet reading... the thought makes me smile. :-)

Rachel said...

beautiful thoughts, ashlove! i love reading your writings...if that made any sense, haha. :)

jimkastkeat said...

I'm all over follow up comments on a blog...