As I start this note it is 3:10am. I am exhausted, but I cannot go to sleep. I had an amazing encounter with God tonight. "Mysteriously" He donned the faces and hands and feet of many of my friends.
If I were to explain to you every moment of the evening that I "sensed" God's presence, we'd be here for hours together, and you'd most likely give up trying to read it all. But there are a few stories worth sharing, I think. Most definitely.
Tonight me and several of my friends gathered early at Jacob's Well. I had invited them to come at 7pm for some dinner and one last chance to hang out. Before we ate I asked if anyone would like to pray. Personally, I believe that the food is already blessed because it has been provided to us, but thanksgiving and humility are good disciplines, and prayer is an excellent connection to God, as well as a great community builder. So we prayed. And though I cannot repeat verbatim the prayer that was prayed, I was stunned by its contents. A friend of mine prayed for me and thanked God for what I have added to their lives. It floored me because I don't generally view myself as someone to thank God for. So often I am reminded of how far I haven't come and the ways in which I fall short, that when someone, whom I know is being honest, says something along the lines of "Asher's a blessing," it really requires me to stop and process. Just one way I felt God's love.
Another way was through the chalkboard above. Since October of 2006 I have been on staff at Jacob's Well. The Well has become a sort of family, in an of itself. The beautiful, unique faces of the well have driven me to insanity at times, but mostly, and most importantly, have helped me develop into more of the person I can love.
Every night, the volunteers recreate the chalkboard with artistic expression, some type of reference to where we're they are (the Well), their names, and the event (if any) of the night. And when I looked up, I saw "Goodbye, Asher!" Sigh. Love.
A friend of mine, one that I love dearly, is my brother, Parker. Parker actually wants to become a brother. Like... Friar Tuck. I love this man. He lives in Chicago so we didn't think he could show, but show he did! Parker has been amazingly gifted by God musically. Every time he sings and plays it's like a wave of happiness and peace for me. And you can see in his face that he loves God and is in His presence as soon as he starts, even when he's improving (which is amazing and hilarious!).
He lead us in impromptu worship tonight. We were sitting around the well, talking and he started improving, silly, fun songs. But the next thing you know, we're all singing,
"Love. love. Love. love. love love love."
Now, I know you can't really imagine what it sounded like, but imagine a group up some of you dearest friends, sitting around, relaxed and present; being. They're there because they value you. And they love God. And then, softly and carefully, you all start singing "love" to a strum on a backpacker's guitar. We also sang something like, "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall lack nothing." Now imagine everyone is completely focused on those words.
Imagine that you know, without a doubt, that God is among you. Sure, He's always there, always moving, always, but now you're aware. You can "see" it. It's not an emotional thing, no tears, no shakes, nothing but knowing.
You know God is among you.
You know He is pleased.
There is peace within and around you.
Peace that surpasses all understanding.
Good, right?
I can't think of a better "last night" with my friends, many of whom I consider family.
Here are some other favorites from the night.
Love you!
First blog post
10 years ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment