I told you a couple days ago I was full of thought...
I was hanging out with a friend tonight. They are going with me to GR for the weekend, and I'm very excited... such great company! Jordan, me, and this friend...
We were discussing the weekend and they mentioned they were afraid to talk to the youth pastor they serve (they're a youth leader at a local church) because the youth pastor believes that it's not good for youth leaders to not be present on Sundays... which, I suppose makes some sense; the youth need to see the faith of their leaders...
However, my friend is feeling frazzled and pulled... and to tell you the truth, I feel this youth ministry takes advantage of all their time and effort and talents they contribute...
When you're a youth pastor it is absolutely essential that you take care of your leaders. In fact, your leaders shouldn't feel guilty about leaving town for a weekend... when youth group and other necessary meetings are during the week...
I sat down with this friend and we figured out that they have roughly 32 hours/week that isn't scheduled or designated for food & hygiene... personal time, their relationship with God, things they enjoys, all left out... that averages out to about 4 hours a day. Sound like a lot? It isn't. And I was once taught by this church that if I had any wasted time (their 32 hrs would be considered a waste) you were a poor steward and in danger of being turned away from God (referencing the verse... (in Matthew?) where those who had done miraculous things and called Him "Lord" were turned away...
Misinterpreted? Si.
And it really angered me that my friend feels guilty about taking the weekend out of town when each week they give roughly 23 hours of time, just to the church's youth ministry... VOLUNTEERED.
*angry face*
Youth pastors, take care of your leaders. Let them have a week or two off even if they aren't doing "religious activities" while they are away. There is more to life than church services and youth groups and your leaders need to rest and feel refreshed or they won't be healthy.
-Asher
First blog post
10 years ago

1 comments:
I totally agree with you. Down-time is essential for anyone, especially when relationships with youth are involved. If you don't take care of yourself first you won't be any good to anyone else either.
My outside observation is that this church is a little too task-oriented. Ministry should be about who you are, not about what you do.
Post a Comment