Monday, March 5

Creepy Encounters: Installment #1

As I was walking into work today (Sunday) there was a minivan pulling out of a spot and turning to leave when the driver slowed the vehicle and rolled her window down. We had a conversation. It went something like this:

Random Lady: Hey! You work at Old Navy, don't you?
Asher: *confused* Yes, yes I do.
RL: Right, I saw you in there a few days ago *smiles*
A: *confused smile* (hoping she's going to ask about our return policy or something)
RL: Do you have Cerebral Palsy?
A: *mildly creeped out* Yeesss....
RL: So does my son! How old are you?
A: *wondering if I should answer, but slowly say* 23...
RL: My son's 18! Do you date?? Is it a challenge for you? (I kid you not folks!)
A: (thought process: run, run away!!) Well, it can be a challenge, yes (I'm use to answering 20 questions about my condition with strangers, but this is just weeeiiird)
RL: I just wish my son had someone to go on dates with. I feel so bad for
him on Friday nights. You could really understand him, you know?
A: (fully aware of what she wants, but completely avoiding it) Yeah, I probably could! *laugh, smile, loooong & ackward pause*
RL: *disappointed, but smiling* There's hope for you, hon! Have a good day!
A: *thoroughly creeped out* You too, ma'am. *walk into store*

She tried to set he & I up!! And, if the kid has any self-respect at all, he'd be mortified that his mother tried to set him up with some random girl because she has a disability and his mom feels bad for him!

Holy cow, this is near the top of my creepy encounters list!

-Asher
ps- No, she did not show me her picture/give me any info... oi!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, keeps life interesting. You are a blessing Asher.

Rachel said...

Just thought I'd let you know, I was able to purchase a copy of Abba's Child tonight...

*grin*

love ya.