I have a gifting that seems to have risen out of nowhere. I am pretty stinkin' good with kids. And I love being around them.
Anytime there's a kid in Old Navy I talk with them. I acknowledge the parents, of course, but not a moment after I'm interacting with the cuteness on a level that they can appreciate. And, in general, kids love me. My coworkers have described me as kind and authoritative. I found a toddler the other day that had been seperatated from his dad. He was one of the cutest things I had seen, sheepishly walking around the baby department. He looked scared, so I started talking to him before I got to him:
"Hey Buddy!! How are you?"
*whimper*
"Are you lost?"
*nod*
"Okay. Well, let's see if I can help you, okay? What's your name?"
"Luke"
"Luke? Wow, that's a great name! My name's Asher. It's VERY nice to meet you, Luke!"
*shake hands*
"Let's go find mommy & daddy, k?"
*nod*
My new friend took my hand and I walked him up front & a manager reunited him with his daddy.
And tonight, while eating dinner with Lindsey, there's a little girl, maybe 4 or 5, seated behind Linds. She catches my eye, so I flash her an animated smile. Maybe I shouldnt have, because this girl commanded my attention after that, and Linds and I were talking and eating. Miss Blue Eyes (for she had very blue eyes!) begins a game of hide-n-seek. So a endulged her a bit. Soon Miss Blue Eyes was wanting converation. Normally I wouldn't mind but my time with Lindsey is very precious, so after about 20 minutes of assure Miss Blue Eyes I'd talk to her when I was done eating, I finally tell her (very kindly, mind you) that she needed to sit down and eat dinner with her momma. The mom seemed grateful, as she clearly had no control over Miss Blue Eyes, and thanked me for my help. Miss Blue Eyes then sat down and ate dinner with her momma. Lindsey looked at me, confused. "I don't know," I shruged.
Aza and I were talking about this tonight. And it seems that kids really do respond well to boundaries. They first need to know that you care, that you get them. It's interesting, and I don't really understand it. But I do have a growing and insatiable desire to be around little kids. I'd love to be a momma, have six kids, and raise them well.
First blog post
10 years ago

1 comments:
the one thing I was always told on mission trips was that I am very good with kids. I just love them. They are so full of energy and passion. My wife often makes references to having a 27 year old kid in the house.
Post a Comment